RCAF Patch Sqn Royal Canadian Air Force 421 Squadron Starfighter
Click To Enlarge

RCAF Patch Sqn Royal Canadian Air Force 421 Squadron Starfighter

Price: $64.99
  • Free Shipping:
  • Item #: 1P 03CA 1CAF 01SQN 2OP 0421SQ 01
Availability: Out-of-Stock

RCAF Patch 421 Squadron Escadrille Royal Canadian Air Force Indian Patch Early 1980sF 104 Starfighter CFB Baden Soellingen West Germany Embroidered on twill cut edge 77mm three inches diameter.

Free Shipping´╗┐

Squadron History

421 Squadron Red Indian was reactivated on 15 September 1949 at RCAF Station Chatham with Vampire aircraft to carry out fighter air interception training and fighter interception operations air interceptions directed by 1 Air Defense Group HQ. The Squadron relocated to RAF Odiham England in early 1951 with RAF Vampire and Meteor aircraft before disbanding at the end of the year.  

The Squadron reactivated at RCAF Station St. Hubert with F 86 Sabres fighters for air defence operations in Europe as part of Canadas Cold War NATO commitment under 2 Fighter Wing. The Squadron flew its Sabres across the Atlantic to RCAF Station Grostenquin France with 416 and 430 Squadrons as part of Operation Leapfrog 2 September October 1952 a full Wing effort with 56 Sabres flown overseas. 421 Squadron arrived in France on 11 October 1952.

In 1962 the Squadron reequipped with CF 104 Starfighters for the tactical nuclear strike role. Prior to the French withdrawal from NATO 2 Wing at Grostenquin was disbanded in February 1964 and its two Starfighter squadrons were transferred with 421 Squadron relocating to 4 Wing at RCAF Station Baden Soellingen West Germany and 430 Squadron moving to RCAF Station Zweibrucken West Germany as part of 1 Air Division RCAF. In January 1972 the Squadrons CF 104 Starfighters converted from their nuclear role to that of conventional ground attack and 1 Air Division was renamed 1 Canadian Air Group.

In 1983 the CF 104 Starfighters began to be replaced with CF 18 Hornets with the last Starfighter leaving Station Baden Soellingen on 1 March 1986. The Squadron continued its NATO duties until inactivated in 1993 at Baden Soellingen as part of the Canadian Armed Forces draw down from Europe.

 

This patch dates from the early 1980s.

Reviews (0) Write a Review
No Reviews. Write a Review