RCAF Patch Sqn Royal Canadian Air Force 400 Fighter Squadron 50s
Click To Enlarge

RCAF Patch Sqn Royal Canadian Air Force 400 Fighter Squadron 50s

Price: $124.99
  • Free Shipping:
  • Item #: 1P 03CA 1CAF 01SQN 2OP 0400SQ 01
Availability: Out-of-Stock

RCAF Patch Royal Canadian Air Force 400 City of Toronto Fighter Squadron Patch 1950s F 86 Sabre and T 33 Silver Star RCAF Station Downsview Flock Printed Applique on felt cut edge 91mm by 80mm three and nine sixteenth inches by three and three sixteenth inches.

Free Shipping

400 Squadron reformed at RCAF Station Downsview as 400 Auxiliary Fighter Bomber Squadron on 15 April 1946 operating Harvard Mk IIB aircraft. The Squadron was redesignated 400 Fighter Squadron Auxiliary on 1 February 1947.

The squadron converted to flew Vampire Mk III aircraft in 1948 tasked with Air Defence and was redesignated 400 City of Toronto Fighter Squadron on 6 November 1952. In 1955 T 33 Silver Star aircraft were added to the inventory.  F 86 Sabre Mk 5s replaced the Vampires In October 1956.

The Squadron was reassigned to Air Transport Command ATC as part of 2 Air Reserve Wing renamed 400 City of Toronto Squadron in October 1958 and reequipped with the C 45 Expeditor for light transport duties. The DHC 3 Otter aircraft were added to the fleet in early 1960 and deployed to the Arctic on several occasions and was involved in search and rescue activities in and around Ontario. The Expeditor was
withdrawn from Squadron service in 1966.

With the unification of the Canadian Forces the Squadron was renamed 400 City of Toronto Air Reserve Squadron on 1 February 1968 as part of 10 Tactical Air Group and was again redesignated 400 Air Reserve Squadron on 1 January 1969. In early 1980 the Squadrons Otter aircraft were withdrawn and replaced with the CH 136 Kiowa helicopter in the Light Observation Helicopter LOH role. On 22 October 1991 the Squadron was renamed 400 Helicopter Operational Training Squadron and celebrated its 60th Anniversary on 5 October 1992.   

With the closure of CFB Downsview the squadron moved to CFB Borden 1 Wing on 1 June 1996 retiring the CH 136 Kiowas and requipped with CH 146 Griffon helicopters. On 1 January 1998 the Squadron absorbed 2 Tactical Aviation Wing with 411 Squadron and 2 Tactical Aviation Support Squadron and was redesignated 400 Tactical Helicopter and Training Squadron. The Squadron providing operational and training support to the 4 Canadian Division the defence of Canadian sovereignty support to national taskings and to peacekeeping operations. Its secondary duties are to support AIRCOMs search and rescue operations. In the event of war 400 Tactical Helicopter and Training Squadron is assigned to deploy to augment 427 Special Operations Aviation Squadron in CFB Petawawa. 

This patch dates from the 1950s.

Reviews (0) Write a Review
No Reviews. Write a Review