German Navy Patch Marinefliegergeschwader MFG 1 IDS Squadron 2
Click To Enlarge

German Navy Patch Marinefliegergeschwader MFG 1 IDS Squadron 2

Price: $24.99
  • Free Shipping:
  • Item #: 1P 05GM 1GNA 01SQN 1OP 001MFG 06
* Marked fields are required.
Availability: In-Stock
Qty: *

German Navy Patch Marinefliegergeschwader MFG 1 Squadron 2 Tornado IDS Late 1980s Jagel Naval Air Station fully embroidered merrowed edge 93mm three and five eighth inches. 

Free Shipping 

1 Marinefliegergruppe MFGR 1 Naval Air Group was activated on 1 April 1957 at RAF Schleswigland Jagel as a multipurpose group with an antisubmarine warfare squadron a transport and supply squadron and a flight operations squadron with responsiblility for the Baltic Sea area. MFGR 2 was also activated at RAF Schleswigland to provide cover for the North Sea. On 1 May 1958 the Royal Air Force handed RAF Schleswigland back to the German Government to become Schleswig Jagel Air Base.

On 19 May 1958 MFGR 1 deployed to RAF Lossiemouth to receive eight Sea Hawk Mk 100 aircraft for reconnaissance and on 20 May 1958 elements went to RAF Eglington Northern Ireland to receive sixteen Gannet Mk4 HS aircraft for antisubmarine warfare.


1959 MFGR 1 was renamed Marinefliegergeschwader 1 MFG 1 Naval Air Wing 1. In October 1961 the antisubmarine warfare role and Gannets were allocated to MFG 2 and MFG 2 Reconnaissance Squadron with its eighteen Sea Hawks was transferred to MFG 1. With Schleswig Jagel becoming too small for both MFGs MFG 2 relocated to Sylt Air Base in 1962.

MFG 1 received its first F 104G Starfighter aircraft on 11 November 1963 carrying out flight testing and operational reconnaissance racking up 132000 hours while in use. In the late 1970s the German Navy decided to establish a two ship flight demonstration team to display the its primary weapon system the F 104G Starfighter and its outstanding abilities. MFG 1 were the first to display at air shows with the MFG 2 Team following providing stunning displays at home and abroad. The F 104 displays came to a sudden end when one of MFG 1s F 104s crashed on approach to RNAS Yeovilton on 3 August 1979.

Tornado IDS aircraft were received in 1981 and in August 1985 a detachment of two Tornados went to the US with refuelling being carried out by other MFG 1 Tornados detached to Beja AB Portugal and Lajes AB Azores.

On 21 December 1993 MFG 1 was deactivated and its Tornados integrated into MFG 2.

 

 

 

This patch dates from the late 1980s

 

 

 

Reviews (0) Write a Review
No Reviews. Write a Review