USAF Patch USAFE 32 TFS Tactical Fighter Squadron Flying Suit Patch Wolfhounds F 4 Phantom 1970s embroidered on twill cut edge large 125mm by 72mm five inches by two and seven eighth inches.
In 1954 the Dutch government entered into an agreement with the US to the stationing of a US Air Force fighter squadron in the Netherlands to augment Dutch air defense. Royal Netherlands Air Base Soesterberg was chosen as the location for the fighter squadron
512 Fighter Day Squadrons relocation to Soesterberg Netherlands in 1954 was well underway when the 512 designation was transferred to RAF Bentwaters in September 1955. Aircraft personnel and equipment remained at Soesterberg and activated as 32 Fighter Day Squadron a designation linked with the Netherlands via its anti-submarine defense of Dutch Caribbean possessions in WW2. 32 Fighter Day Squadron Wolfhounds reported to 36th Fighter Wing at Bitburg Air Base West Germany. The squadron was the only USAF flying unit on the Base and occupied a portion of the base and called it Camp New Amsterdam after the first Dutch settlement in the United Stated New Amsterdam which later became New York City.
The Squadron was re-designated 32 Tactical Fighter Squadron on 18 July 1958 remaining part of 36 Tactical Fighter Wing. In 1959 in recognition of the Squadrons contribution to the Cold War defense of The Netherlands the Squadron was awarded the Dutch Royal Crest in 1959 with the honour of adding the Royal crown and oranges wreath to the Wolfhound emblem designed by Walt Disney Studios in WW2 based on its war service of hunting of German U Boat Wolfpacks. The Squadron was renamed 32 Fighter Interceptor Squadron FIS on 8 July 1959. F 102 Delta Daggers were received in 1960 and the 32 Wolfhounds were recognized as the most outstanding fighter interceptor squadron in the United States Air Force winning the Hughes Award three times.
Control of 32 Fighter Interceptor Squadron was transferred to Seventeenth Air Force at Sembach West Germany on 1 November 1968 and the Squadron was re-designated 32 Tactical Fighter Squadron on 1 July 1969 re-equipping with F 4 Phantom IIs. F-15 Eagles were received in 1978
with the Phantoms being assigned to the 86th TFW.
In 1989 the Dutch permitted USAFE to upgrade its headquarters unit at Soesterberg from squadron to group status. The 32 Tactical Fighter Group was activated on 16 November 1989 taking over the functions 32 TFS HQ element and support detachments.
32 TFS Wolfhounds was deployed to Incirlik Turkey from August 1990 to March 1991 for Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm and were credited with the destruction of an Iraqi Mig on 28 January 1991. Additional deployments continued for Op Provide Comfort April 1991 to April 1993. The Squadron was re-designated 32 Fighter Squadron on 1 November 1991.
In spring 1994 HQ USAFE used the 32 designation for the new 32d Air Operations Group with 32 Fighter Squadron being renamed 32 Air Operations Squadron on its move from Camp New Amsterdam Soesterberg to Ramstein on 1 July 1994 under USAFE Theater Air and Space-operations Center. 632d Air Base Squadron was activated at Soesterburg to complete the base closure. The 32d Air Operations Squadron was
inactivated on 1 November 2005.
This patch dates from the 1970s.